Dr. Kavanaugh earned his AB (biology) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA. He earned his MD (Medicine) at St. Louis University Medical School in St. Louis, MO.
Innovative strategies for the treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatic diseases. Prognostic and predictive factors for outcomes in rheumatic diseases. Research program on innovative approaches to various immunologic diseases, particularly novel biologic therapies.
Clinical Profile and Appointments
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
Clinic Practice Locations
- Koffeman E, Genovese M, Amox D, Keogh E, Santana E, Matteson E, Kavanaugh A, et al. Epitope-specific immunotherapy of rheumatoid arthritis: clinical responsiveness occurs with immune deviation and relies on the expression of a cluster of molecules associated with T cell tolerance. Arthritis Rheum 2009;60:3207-16. PMID: 19877047.
- Strand V, Mease P, Burmester G, Nikai E, Coteur G, van Vollenhoven R, Combe B, Keystone EC, Kavanaugh A. Rapid and sustained improvements in health-related quality of life, fatigue, and other patient-reported outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with certolizumab pegol plus methotrexate over 1 year: results from the RAPID1 randomized controlled trial. Arthritis Res Ther 2009;11:R170 (12 November 2009). PMID:19909548.
- Curtis JR, Beukelman T, Onofrei A, Cassell, Greenberg J, Kavanaugh A, Reed G, Strand V, Kremer J. Elevated liver enzyme tests among rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis patients treated with methotrexate and/or leflunomide. Ann Rheum Dis 2010;69:43-47. (Epub 2009 Jan 15). PMID: 19147616.
- Grunke M, Antoni C, Kavanaugh A, Hildebrand V, Dechant C, Manger B, Ronneberger M. Standardization of joint examination techniques leads to a significant decrease of variability between different examiners. J Rheumatol 2010;37:860-4 (Epub 2010 Feb 15). PMID: 20156953.
- Kavanaugh A, Lee SJ, Weng HH, Chon Y, Huang XY, Lin SL. Patients drived joint counts are a potential alternative for determining disease activity score. J Rheumatol 2010 Feb 15 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20156946.
Additional Kavanaugh Publications via PubMed